Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day















For several years now I have kept up the tradition of making either a Valentine Breakfast or a Valentine Dinner. As our family dwindles in size, I keep thinking it may be time to end this tradition. However, I had a lot of fun making Valentine's and sending them in the mail to my children, their spouses, and my grandchildren. For the few individuals remaining at home, I decided to make fettichini alfredo and a fruit pizza. Maybe this will wet your appetite.

Mix the following ingredients into a stiff cookie dough:
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. shortening
3/4 c. sugar
1 egg
1 1/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. soda

Cream butter, shortening and sugar. Add the remaining ingredients. Press dough into pizza pan and bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. Allow crust to cool and mix:

8 oz. cram cheese
4 oz. Cool Whip (1 3/4 c.)
1/4 c. powdered sugar

Spread evenly over crust. Decorate with fruit of your choice. Baste fruit with glaze:

1 1/4 c. water
2 T. orange juice concentrate
1/8 c. lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
1 1/2 T. corn starch
dash of salt

Mix well, cook and bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes until thick. Cool and baste over fruit.

2 comments:

Megan said...

oh that is what i miss! me and andy are trying to start our own traditions, but his family never did anything on valentine's day. so we will see how it goes. p.s. that pizza looks DELISCIouS

Anonymous said...

I miss the times that we had together. Like Christmas and Confress, and wood cutting. I am going to have to try the pizza