Friday, January 1, 2010

Basket Slough

My new favorite Wildlife Refuge is right at our back door. Basket Slough is located just a few miles out of Salem. Paul and I made a trip together and I snapped this great blue heron on the side of the road.






We also captured this sharp shinned hawk enjoying a noon meal.


A few days later I took Megan and Jesse to the refuge. Megan was the one who captured this great blue heron with my camera.





Megan also got this great picture of a male kestrel.


I know our robins are a common bird, but look at the colors this time of year! Megan was the photographer.














I was so excited to see this bald eagle near the hiking trail!

As we started up the path, Jesse followed the water trail...such a typical boy!















We came across a little herd of deer next to the trail and they were not afraid of us at all.





They are so fuzzy this time of year.















































Jesse is watching the deer and yelling, "Hi deer!" It didn't phase them.
We continued up the trail to catch the view at the top.

















Jesse is eating snow.


















This was the view over the top of the hill.
As we made our way back down the trail, the eagle returned to the same tree as before. It was quite a day!

1 comment:

creative side said...

I feel as if I were on the trip with you. The photos transported me. Thanks.