Thursday, January 3, 2013

Exploring the Oregon Coast

 My daughter Anne and I made a fun overnight trip to the coast just before Christmas. Our first stop was Astoria where we found this beautiful Snowy Owl. My neighbor, who is also a birder, told us where to find it, and off we went!
 We had to hike through some soggy terrain and walk over a narrow, slippery driftwood "bridge" but the efforts were well worth it. This was the first owl I photographed.
 A yawning owl :-)
 It was cold and windy at this jetty at Fort Stevens, but the waves were spectacular!

 There were three Snowy Owls, and you can see this second one as a tiny white dot in the grass.
 This was the third one. It looked smaller and younger.
 Anne and I drove down the coast and stayed overnight in Bay City. The next morning we made a drive along Tillamook River. I LOVE reflections, and this river has some of the best around.
 I cannot resist a Heron picture :-).


 As we drove toward Bay Ocean, we made a milkshake bet as to who would see the first Kingfisher along the Tillamook Bay. Anne won :-).
 Another Heron along the spit at Bay Ocean.

The quaint little town of Cape Meares

Anne at Cape Meares Beach

 More beautiful waves at Cape Meares Beach.

 Tangled seaweed on Cape Meares Beach
 Watching the waves over the cliff at Cape Meares Lighthouse.

 We watched this huge wave span at least half of the cove!

 Another Heron on Netarts Bay. This is a particular funny picture as the heron is looking directly at me :-).
 How blessed we are to live in this amazing world!

No comments: