Thursday, November 27, 2008

Color and Culture

This was the most recent project from my color design class. We chose a pattern to paint that represented a culture. After painting the pattern in traditional colors, we were to choose the color scheme of our choice and repaint it (or a portion of it). These were painted side by side on the same illustration board, so I incorporated the color green in both pieces. I choose a triad color scheme using 3 colors equidistant from one another on the color wheel. I wanted to use orange and green for sure because the colors in the Irish flag are orange, green and white. I added purple because it is part of that triad. I would not recommend doing this particular pattern as it took me hours and hours to paint this! However, I learned about making color gradations with acrylic (which is not easy) and I improved my craftsmanship. My last project is going to be even more challenging, but I am looking forward to it.

2 comments:

Desert Rose blooming in Arizona, said...

WOW! They are just fantastic! I can see why they took hours and hours but the end result was well worth it! All the art you have posted is really spectacular. Thanks for sharing!

Dad and Mom Mann said...

Becky...Those are absolutely gorgeous!! What a beautiful tile either one of those would make, or as smaller individual ones. I knew instantly that is was Celtic. I'm so glad you share your art work with your family and friends. Thank you. You have truly been blessed with artistic talent.