Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Color Design Class

This is another project from my color design class. We were required to create a plant design using two complementary colors (mine were blue-green and red-orange). I went to my neighbor's who has a wonderful variety of bamboos planted in his field, and I took several pictures. I ended up combining about three different ideas for my design. After mixing the colors, we neutralized each one by mixing a little of the opposite color into it. Next we mixed them fairly equally to create a very grayed-out neutral color. It was suggested we use several tints from each of these mixes in our design. It was also suggested that we integrate as many of the things we've learned about color interactions into our design (such as simultaneous contrast, transparencies using middle mixtures, disappearing boundaries, etc.). We had to paint everything flat with no streaking or shading. We were told not to gradate the background but to paint it in using different values if we wanted to. We could only do this if we had areas that did not run into one another. Anyway, it was a challenge and I learned a LOT...like keep the cats away or you end up painting cat hairs into your design! Seriously, I did learn a lot and discovered the joy of using neutralized colors. I thought they were somewhat ugly when I mixed them, but the tints were quite beautiful. I would not typically choose different values of "gray" for a background, but I was pleased with the effect.

3 comments:

Candy Jane said...

Hello!
OK, now I'm totally jealous of your class. What a gorgeous piece! I learned a lot just from reading your post - classes are so great, I miss them.
And aren't cats just the most delightful and AGGRAVATING critters?!

Megan said...

this was something that I would hang up in my house on display. You are so creative and you do some beautiful pieces!

creative side said...

Your painting is so neat. I have always loved the little pieces of paint that settle themselves in the crevaces of my paint palette. The colors are always astonishing. I love how you took something from nature and turned it into a beautiful work of art. Talent my dear, talent!