Sunday, November 23, 2008

Wild Arts Festival

After picking up Katie at the Portland Airport for her Thanksgiving break from school, we made a detour to the Wild Arts Festival before heading home. I had never been there before, but I will certainly return each year if I can! There were three levels to enjoy with authors signing books on the lower level, vendors on the second level, and a silent auction and "sanctuary" on the third level. The pictures were taken on my phone, so they aren't the best quality.


Kate and I were surprised to see birds of prey kept in captivity due to injuries they had sustained. It was wonderful to see this colorful little Kestrel up close.



Peregrine Falcon















Great Horned Owl
Spotted Owl

















I did not even begin to get pictures of the variety of handcrafted items and the many artists with works for sale.

This is for the environmentalists and recyclers! These are bracelets made from canned drinks!




These are totes made from billboard banners.




A wallet made from an inner tube...












Purses made from inner tubes and recycled parts...

These items were beautifully crafted from bark, twine, shells, stones, etc.


Although this is not a very good picture, I was impressed by this artist's use of color and detail. All of his work was done with acrylics.














This was some of the most beautiful photography I had ever seen.




This picture does not do justice to the combination of feathers, stones, shells, etc.












These wind chimes were made from all natural materials.

How about these fish made from nuts, bolts, silverware and a variety of other scrap metals?











This was one of my favorites! If you could see it up close, you would see the variety of silverware used for feathers and the screws for its beak and toes!


There was even a quiet spot to relax and listen to bird calls. Lunch selections were brought in and sold by a local restaurant. Kate and I had a delicious Cajun Chicken Pasta. I would highly recommend this festival to anyone who loves any aspect of wildlife and the great out-of-doors!

4 comments:

Dad and Mom Mann said...

Oh How I wish we had a fair as wild life and recycle conscious as that here in Sonoma County. Most of our fairs we have at the fair ground or vets building are so commercial. I loved that Bird on the hammer too. I can't get over the expressiveness of his face using metal scraps. He seems alive. Thanks for sharing. I truly enjoyed the tour!!

Candy Jane said...

OH MY! Please find out if its at the same time each year - I may have to come for Thanksgiving next year, I want to attend this fabulous exhibit! The windchimes have captured me! And that little bird with spoon feathers...and the photographer...
SO glad you at least had your phone, imagine what you would have done with your nifty camera!!
Thanks for sharing your day :)
Candy

Anne said...

OK Katie,
You have GOT to figure out how to make a bird like that...he is ADORABLE!!!

Anne

Megan said...

its wierd that i saw katie that morning looking exactly like she does in that picture, and then you saw her that same day...