Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Clam Digging With my Brother Terry

 Just after my brother Terry's birthday, Bill and I headed to the coast to go clam digging with him. We stayed at the Al Griffin Memorial Park in Bay City. It's pretty special to be able to stay at my childhood park named after my dad.
 We met Terry in Garibaldi and headed down to the bay near the old boat house. This was a new experience for me, even though I've dug clams with my family many times out in the bay on the sand bars.
 Terry ran into one of his neighbors. Bill tried to navigate around the rocks. It was quite the trick!
 Digging clams in this terrain was quite challenging. Several of the people who were there just dug little holes here and there. We moved the seaweed aside to find the right kind of hole. Then we dug next to it and went fairly deep. We were almost always successful.

A kelp eal

You warm up quickly from all of the exertion. Then off comes the coat!
 We forgot our buckets, so Terry had one extra one and then he put his limit of clams in his shirt :-).


 I had a lot of fun and managed to catch on pretty well before the morning ended.
 Terry has a great set up on his deck for cleaning clams. It reminded me of when we were kids and our neighbors used to take us and then we got to help clean the clams :-).
 We had a pretty good amount of clams between the three of us! As soon as Bill and I arrived home I cooked up a delicious batch of fresh clams! What a fun, fun day!!!





No comments: