Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Perfect Day, Monday (Columbus Day)

Bill and I decided to spend the day at the beach since he had a rare day off. We started at Newport and enjoyed a walk on the docks. The reflections were amazing, the sea lions were noisy, and the light fog made everything crisp and beautiful.


Sea Lion


This is probably my favorite picture.








Newport Bridge











We stopped to see Lorna at work in Newport.



We ate at one of our favorite restaurants at Nye Beach.















We stopped at Cape Foulweather hoping to see whales, but they were not showing. We enjoyed some spectacular views instead.














Couldn't resist this little buddy.










We stopped at Depot Bay and found a nifty little spot to watch whales!


This was the view looking south.









This is what a whale spout looks like.




This is how a whale looks when it rolls on the surface of the water.





This was the view looking east (we were on a little jut of land).



We stopped at Fogerty Beach, another favorite spot.




The tide was way out, revealing rocks we rarely see.

This old snag has been here for some time, and I still think it is beautiful.












Starfish


This is looking north up the beach.









The starfish were everywhere.





They looked like flowers on the rocks!









Oyster Catchers












This is looking back where we started.



These were interesting formations embedded in this cliff.







The colors in the rocks were amazing.











We climbed over these rocks and entered a part of the beach where we had never gone before.



This was the end of the beach.









Bill and I enjoyed picking up little agates.


If you look closely, you can see some tiny agates amongst these pebbles.






"I think I can get that one if I hurry." (He got his feet wet!)



Even the kelp is beautiful. Notice how coarse the sand is on this beach. It is the only place that we know of with sand like this.












Goose Neck Barnacles
















Kelp




Seaweed













Feeling content after a wonderful day!
Our treasures!

2 comments:

Candy Jane said...

I'm always so awed at the photos you take - what a stunning gallery of a day at the coast! And whale spouts - I'm jealous. Next time I'm visiting, I want to eat at Nye Beach, OK? I'm so glad you take the time to share your wonderful photography talent. And that you and Bill take time to make those memories!

Kate Farr said...

I'm Jealous!!!!!